Can You Taste Asbestos in the Air

Can You Really Taste Asbestos in the Air?

Can You Really Taste Asbestos in the Air? The Truth Behind This Common Myth

The short answer is no, you cannot actually taste asbestos fibers in the air. The idea that asbestos has a distinctive taste is a myth. Asbestos is a fibrous mineral that was once widely used in construction materials and insulation. When asbestos-containing materials break down or are disturbed, microscopic fibers can be released into the air. These tiny fibers are invisible to the naked eye and do not have any detectable taste.

Where Did the Asbestos Taste Myth Originate?

So how did the myth that asbestos has a distinctive taste come about? There are a few potential origins:

  • Some have speculated that the myth arose from World War II shipyard workers. Asbestos was used extensively in shipbuilding at the time. The workers may have breathed in asbestos fibers while working and attributed a “metallic” or “woody” taste to the presence of asbestos.
  • Another theory is that the myth developed from the practice of tasting samples of talc powder. Talc can be contaminated with asbestos due to the close geological relationship between the two minerals. Tasting talc to check for a bitter or metallic taste was thought to identify the presence of asbestos.
  • The odor of organic materials applied to asbestos for binding purposes could also potentially be misinterpreted as a taste.

In any case, the notion that you can literally taste asbestos itself appears to be unfounded.

Why You Cannot Taste Asbestos

There are a few reasons why it is physiologically impossible to taste asbestos fibers in the air:

  • Taste receptors are located in the taste buds on the tongue. They allow you to detect tastes like sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami. There are no taste receptors in the throat or lungs where airborne asbestos fibers would make contact.
  • For something to elicit a taste, molecules must dissolve in saliva. Asbestos fibers do not dissolve.
  • Asbestos fibers are far too small to interact with taste receptors. Taste buds can only detect dissolved particles around 1 micron or larger. Asbestos fibers are typically 0.1 microns or smaller.

So while the mouth and nose may experience irritation or discomfort when exposed to high concentrations of asbestos, there is no distinct taste associated with the fibers themselves.

The Dangers of Asbestos Exposure

Although asbestos has no taste, inhaling or ingesting asbestos fibers can still be very hazardous to your health. Asbestos has been classified as a known human carcinogen by the EPA, WHO, and OSHA.

When asbestos fibers become lodged in lung tissue, they can cause lung diseases like asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma. These diseases often have long latency periods and may not show up until decades after exposure. Asbestos-related diseases kill thousands of people each year.

The highest risks of asbestos exposure are among asbestos miners/millers, construction/demolition workers, shipyard workers, auto mechanics, and other trades that work directly with older asbestos-containing materials. However, indirect second-hand exposure can also occur among asbestos workers’ families members as fibers are brought home on shoes and clothing.

How to Detect Asbestos Hazards

Instead of tasting the air, the best ways to identify possible asbestos hazards are:

  • Look for signs of damage – Asbestos-containing insulation or other materials that are cracked, broken, or deteriorating can release fibers into the air.
  • Be aware of the age of the building – Asbestos was widely used in construction before being phased out in the 1970s. Older homes and buildings are more likely to contain asbestos materials.
  • Review building records – Records may indicate if and where asbestos was used, particularly for commercial buildings.
  • Consult an asbestos inspector – If there are signs of damage or you suspect asbestos is present, have a qualified asbestos inspector take samples for testing.

Trying to determine if asbestos is present by the taste or smell of the air is not reliable and can put you at risk. Leave asbestos testing and removal to trained professionals.


1. What does asbestos smell like?

Asbestos itself does not have a distinct smell. The odor associated with asbestos is usually traced to the binding materials like asphalt, vinyl, or cement used in asbestos-containing products.

2. What does asbestos exposure do to the body?

When inhaled, asbestos fibers become lodged in lung tissue and cause scarring and inflammation. This damage can eventually lead to serious diseases like asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma. Asbestos fibers can also be ingested and potentially cause gastrointestinal issues.

3. Is it safe to breathe near asbestos?

No, you should avoid breathing in asbestos fibers even from short-term or low-level exposure. Inhaling asbestos poses a health hazard as fibers can become permanently embedded in lung tissue and lead to disease.

4. Can you smell asbestos on clothes?

Not exactly. Asbestos itself is odorless. But clothes contaminated with asbestos may pick up the scent of binding agents or other materials associated with asbestos-containing products. Always launder work clothes separately if asbestos exposure is possible.

5. Does asbestos cause nausea?

Inhalation of high levels of asbestos could potentially cause nausea as a short-term symptom. This is likely due to irritation and inflammation of the lungs. If ongoing nausea occurs, it is important to see a doctor to rule out asbestos-related disease.

6. How dangerous is it to disturb asbestos?

Disturbing or damaging asbestos-containing materials can release hazardous fibers into the air. This poses a health risk to anyone inhaling the fibers. Asbestos should always be handled and removed by specially trained professionals.

7. How long after asbestos exposure do symptoms appear?

Due to the long latency period of asbestos-related diseases, symptoms usually don’t appear until 10-50 years after exposure. That’s why it is critical to limit exposure, as health effects are not immediate. Shortness of breath and coughing are some early symptoms of asbestos disease.

The Bottom Line

It is physically impossible to truly taste asbestos fibers in the air. Breathing in asbestos over time poses serious health risks, but the fibers have no odor or distinct flavor. Don’t rely on your senses to detect asbestos. Be proactive in identifying asbestos hazards in older buildings and preventing exposure. Contact a professional if you have any concerns about the safety of asbestos-containing materials in your home or workplace.

For more information, visit the EPA’s official website about asbestos.


Published by

Dennis Reed

Dennis Reed Owner and Author @