Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly when inhaled in large amounts.
Heat pumps, which are commonly used for heating and cooling homes, have the potential to release CO if not properly maintained or installed.
The question of whether or not a heat pump can cause CO poisoning is a valid concern for homeowners.
Can you get carbon monoxide poisoning from a heat pump?
The short answer is yes, it is possible to get carbon monoxide poisoning from a heat pump. However, it is unlikely to occur under normal conditions if the heat pump is properly installed and maintained.
Additionally, having a carbon monoxide detector in your home can provide added protection against CO poisoning. Most likely you have a CO detector or two in your home already. Because it is the law.
While it is possible to get carbon monoxide poisoning from a heat pump, it is unlikely to occur if the heat pump is properly installed maintenanced regularly.
It is important to have a qualified professional install and maintain your heat pump, and to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home for added protection. And after all, it is the law.