1. Too dangerous
I’m going to insert a personal story here as to why.
As a young person I was a recording artist. When I first began recording I laid down a fortune in recording hours at the “big boy” recording studio in my city.
It only took a few songs to realize I was not good enough to do one or two takes of anything. And with the clock burning through my wallet, I needed to find a better way.
So the logical solution, if I was going to be able to learn this recording stuff, was to use the money I was spending at the Professional Studio on a home studio where I could do as many takes as I needed on any song.
This is where the candle part of the story comes in.
As I got comfortable with recording in my home, I started lighting a candle or two to create some mood in the room.
And the more comfortable I got, I didn’t always make an effort to make sure the candles were blown out.
I thought it didn’t really matter because they were small candles inside of a jar.
But as stupid as it was, there was a specific incident where I left the house to run to the corner convenient store and
I didn’t think it was worth shutting down because I was going for a drink and I would be right back.
But, as I was on the way to the store I realized I didn’t grab my wallet. So I turned around and immediately went back to get it.
As I opened the door I smelled smoke.
I ran into the recording room and found that a pair of headphones had been too close to a burning candle. The cord on the headphones had combusted.
I don’t know what material that headphone cords are made of, but it went up like a dead Christmas tree.
It had caught fire and melted to almost nothing in the time it took me to leave the house and turn around and come back because I forgot my wallet.
Up till then, I didn’t consider candles to be dangerous. But after that incident I’m pretty wary of using candles.
It scares me now when I see someone, especially one of my teenage children sleeping with a candle burning. Especially when they have been told not too more than once.
I never knew how fast fire could take hold and spread so easily.
It’s as if the flame had jumped off of the candle and landed straight onto the headphones. Honest truth.
So when it comes to keeping 20 or so candles lit to warm a room, that in my opinion is a definite no no.
The ease in which a fire could start is much too risky.