Does Lysol Kill Mold Spores? Mold is a variety of fungus that can decompose all sorts of carbon-based compounds. Anywhere there is low light and humidity, you’re bound to find mold growing somewhere in the vicinity.
And where you have mold, you also have mold spores floating around and looking for the next available food source.
Mold is everywhere and that’s not an exaggeration. But it only becomes a problem when it takes root in your home somewhere.
If you don’t catch it early, it can decompose your walls, floors, ceilings, etc. Anywhere in your home that predisposed to moisture.
Table of Contents
Does Lysol kills mold?
Lysol is a brand of aerosol disinfectant that is extremely effective for killing mold and mold spores. And since it is one of the most widely used household cleaners, you may even have a can of it under your sink right now.
Why is Lysol so good at killing mold?
Bleach. That’s right, the secret ingredient is bleach. The cat is out of the bag.
To use Lysol to kill mold spores in your home, you should follow a few simple procedures to make sure that it is done right.
Step 1. Scrub the mold infected area with warm water and detergent using a heavy brush.
Step 2. Spray the Lysol directly upon the molded area till it is thoroughly soaked.
Step 3. Let it sit for 2 minutes. If you have a particularly severe case, leave the Lysol soaked into the area for at least 10 minutes.
Step 4. Scrub the area again to to break the mold loose from the surface.
Step 5. Wipe the area down with a clean washcloth.
Step 6. Thoroughly rinse the area with clean water.
Remember we are talking about cleaning mold and mold spores with Lysol, which contains bleach.
Not only can you get an adverse reaction to mold spores, you can also get a bad reaction to bleach if you are not careful.
To make sure that you do not come in contact with the mold and the bleach, goggles and rubber gloves should be employed.
Ventilation is also important. If possible, open the window. If you don’t have a exhaust or window to open, it’s a good idea to use a respirator so that you do not inhale mold spores or bleach fumes.
Step 7. Let it completely air dry.
Making sure it dries well is important so that mold isn’t invited to start growing there again.
Bleach vs vinegar for mold
If you don’t have Lysol which contains bleach in the house, there is a good chance you do have vinegar.
Vinegar is actually one of the best things to use to clean up mold. It is not only safer than using bleach, it is more effective at deeply penetrating the mold infected area.
The steps for using vinegar are very similar for using Lysol to clean mold.
Soak the area thoroughly with a vinegar and water mixture, then let it sit.
Then take a stiff brush and scrub the area.
Rinse it thoroughly with water and make sure it dries completely.
Mold takes root anywhere there is dirt, moisture, and low light.
The key to preventing mold is to prevent moisture from building in the first place.
Things like leaky pipes, or drips should be taken care of immediately.
Bathroom should be outfitted with exhaust fans to pull the moisture out of the room.
Kitchen exhaust should also be employed to pull excess humidity out of the room when there is cooking going on.
And if you live in an area that has general heavier humidity, you may consider purchasing a dehumidifier.